Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I Probably Shouldn't Be Allowed to Name Things Creatively

I'm one of those people that's impossible to take out to a bar. If you're lucky, I'll find something interesting on the Specialty Drink menu, but I don't drink beer or straight wine. I'm very particular in my tastes, and inevitably the bar won't be stocked with some crucial ingredient in my go-to favorite. Despite it being listed in the "Classic" section of every bar tending book I've ever browsed through, I still have to give the waitress/bartender the actual recipe (and possible substitutes) every time I order a B-52. Apparently, classic = ancient history.

So while attending a wedding reception this summer, I told the bartender, "I like Shirley Temples, but I want something with alcohol in it. Surprise me." And surprise me he did. On the spot, he created a delicate, fruity, pale pink beverage that was perfectly delicious. I watched what ingredients he used, and  headed to the liquor store the very next say so I could start trying to recreate it.


Moonlight Blush
1 1/2 oz mango/passionfruit/orange liqueur (XXX, Kinky, or the brand shown above)
1 oz orange flavored vodka (originally Mandarin vodka)
1/2 oz other orange liqueur (originally triple sec)

Mix the liqueurs, add ice cubes, top off the glass with your favorite clear soda.

The drink on the right was made with Grand Marnier. On the right, the same recipe made with Blue Curaçao. They don't taste radically different, but in a side by side taste test, my husband preferred the Grand Marnier and I preferred the Blue Curaçao. Maybe the version should be called Blue Moon, since the color's so different?

No comments:

Post a Comment