Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

I'm in the last two-week stretch before graduation! Expect posts to be a bit farther apart for the next couple weeks. With last projects and cramming for finals, I'm living on take-out and anything I can stir together and forget about.

I lived in Germany for about 5 years when I was growing up. Once I graduated to, "Sure, we'll let her order off the grown-up menu," my favorite meal was jaeger schnitzel. It's a venison dish with a nice mushroom sauce. I'm sure you can find a real recipe for it online, but I've been making my own bastardized version for over a decade now. Luckily, it also requires very little effort.

And because I forgot to plan ahead for Boozy Tuesd'y,
 I'm having a nice glass of red wine with dinner.

Jaeger Schnitzel, for the truly lazy
1 beef roast, 2-4 lbs (whatever fits in your slow cooker)
1 can of Golden Mushroom soup (Beefy Mushroom works in a pinch)
1 packet dry onion soup mix
Recommended: carrots, potatoes, other vegetables to serve with the roast

Place the beef in the slow cooker. Pour the mushroom soup over the beef. Sprinkle the packet of onion soup mix over the beef. Pour 1/2 -1 whole can of soup around the beef (not over it). Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
For the last hour of cook time, you can add in carrots. potatoes, whatever hard vegetables you want. I always add the potatoes first because they don't seem to cook completely unless they're submerged in the gravy. Then add your other vegetables. If you really like mushrooms, you can add fresh mushrooms, quartered or sliced. (If you can't put the vegetables in for a whole hour, place them in a saucepan, add just enough water to cover them, and boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.)
Serve everything with the gravy. Depending on how much water you added and whether the potato starch thickened things, the gravy may be a bit on the thin side. It'll still be rich and delicious.

You can try to slice the beef for pretty servings, but usually I just resort to pulling it apart with two forks. This roast was almost too tender to slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment